Tax Day is looming. This year April 15th falls on a Saturday, so we have until April 17th to file. But don’t wait until the last minute.
- Start sorting your paperwork early. Gather all your W-2s, 1099s, receipts, and anything else you’ll need.
- Don’t forget about credits and deductions! More $$ for you, baby.
- Every year check your W-4 and adjust it if your circumstances have changed, such as marriage, divorce, new children or children growing up.
- There are many online services or software packages to help you do your filing. If your taxes are complicated, you may want to invest in an accountant.
- Consider using a volunteer tax filing service like VITA, which is available in many places for people with incomes below $54,000. If you are over 60 there is another volunteer service called TCE. Information on both including a locator is available on the IRS website.
NOW, DO YOUR FREAKIN’ TAXES.
The Dream Team